Accept Differences – Be Kind – Count Your Blessings – Dream – Express Thanks – Forgive – Give Freely – Harm No One – Imagine More – Jettison Anger – Keep Confidences – Love Truly – Master Something – Nurture Hope – Open Your Mind – Pack Lightly – Quell Rumors – Reciprocate – Seek Wisdom – Touch Hearts – Understand – Value Truth – Win Graciously – Xemplify Kindness – Yearn For Peace – Zealously Support A Worthy Cause
Precisely ten years ago, I received these ABC’s in a holiday card that I have kept ever since. It too makes its way around my place during the holidays, as does the one I wrote about in a previous post, A Meaningful To-Do List. Today, more than ever, it seems like the world needs these ABC’s on steroids! I silently give thanks for all the people around the globe who are working hard and tapping into their tools every single day to exemplify these traits, for these human beings are part of our global community helping to heal humanity.
The healing though, as with many things in life, must first start with ourselves. We have been blessed with the privilege of being alive, and with that comes a responsibility to grow and evolve into the very best person we can be. If you are committed to self-improvement, inner investigation and evolving mentally, emotionally and spiritually, you know it’s not an easy job. The work can get ugly, messy, and painful; but, the rewards outweigh it all. Remember, true transformation occurs from the inside out, and it takes time, practice and patience! One of my favorite quotes is, “You are allowed to be both a masterpiece and a work in progress at the same time.” Amen to that!!!!
As I was thinking about what to write about in this blog, I came across some questions that one of my favorite people in the world, Seane Corn, posed at a yoga workshop I did with her about 4 years ago. These questions really require us to get to the core of who we are…both our light and shadow side. If we want to be able to live peacefully, coexist and truly effect change, I believe we have a responsibility to ourselves, and the life we have been given, to really dig deep and work hard at chiseling away the dark residue from our shadow side. It’s hard work. It’s also heart work!
Below are numerous questions – I invite you to peruse them, answer them if you like, share them with your tribe, have conversations about them, or just see what thoughts, feelings and emotions arise inside you as you read through them. Hopefully, you will find them useful in some way – if not now, then sometime along your personal journey.
- How are you showing up for yourself?
- How are you showing up for others?
- What tapes are running through your head?
- What conditioning, grief, dysfunction, pain, sorrow, situations or people who no longer serve you are you still holding on to? Why?
- What limiting beliefs are holding you back or keeping you stuck in “victim” mentality?
- Are you in a state of denial?
- What hurts, traumas, surgery, loss or life situation has shown up?
- What behavior do you turn to when you want to avoid feeling your feelings?
- Who or what situation has brought you to your knees?
- Who or what has broken your heart wide open?
- Do you choose love over fear?
- Do you act from a place of love or fear?
- How can you connect to your pure essence which is Love?
- How do you show compassion, empathy, understanding and kindness to others?
- What ways do you show up for yourself from a place of hope, love, compassion, understanding and empathy?
- Who taught you how to love?
- How do you contribute to the collective energy of the planet?
- Are your thoughts, views, actions and speech negative and judgmental in nature, or are they positive?
- What words do you use?
- What type of language do you use to communicate with others?
- Does your language emanate positive or negative energy?
- What types of example are you setting for those around you…partners, children, family, friends, co-workers and strangers?
- Who are your closest relationships?
- Who or what triggers you?
- What sensations do these triggers cause in your body?
- Do you react or pause, then act?
- What tools can you employ so you don’t react?
- Do you abuse power?
- Do you have issues expressing love and acceptance to those of a different race, nationality, color, gender or religion?
- What words / language do you use that causes separation?
- What does peace look and feel like for you?
- What ways can you contribute to making your surroundings, as well as the collective energy of the world, more peaceful?
- How can you exercise patience, understanding and non-judgement?
- What are you grateful for?
- How do you express gratitude for what shows up in your life?
- Who were / are your spiritual teachers?
- What’s your shadow side?
- How do you shine your light?
- How do you step into your power?
- What change do you want to see in the world?
Darlings, may you always feel your essence with each heartbeat…LOVE, LOVE, LOVE…..and send that out to into the world….and feel the earth pulsating with LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Oh, and one last thing – please be sure to practice your ABC’s…wink, wink!
Inhale love and light…Exhale grace and gratitude, JTC